header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Coffee Shop
 What you get from this site
 A letter to us all
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, Annie here at last, sorry for my absence but I have been kept updated by Mac very well.

We received a letter which Mac sent through and I have permission to add it here today so here it is.

I would firstly like to say that this goes to show just how much we help others without knowing we are doing any good at all. Thank you all for your lovely poems and stories, they are wonderful. (Names have been changed by request).

Dear Mac,

I am writing to thank all those who are involved with the organisation Flow for all. Please place this on your notice board for all to read.

My name is Margaret and I am married to a fine ex soldier called Bill. Bill and I have struggled through many troubled years of depression which we only recently discovered was called PTSD. Bill served for a good few years until he left in the 90s, he said hed had enough. He had been getting steadily worse over the years since the Falklands campaign in the early 80s and yet he hid this from everyone so well except me. I was his shoulder but it too had an effect on me. How we managed to conceal his plight I don't know. Bill was then and is now a very proud man and would not dream of going to anyone for help not even out here in civilian life, so how you got him to visit the doctor I still dont know but thank you. The only reason he is allowing me to send you this letter is so that his story may be told and that others may find the comfort he found in your world of care and support.

Bill was sent a copy of an article from the Shropshire newspaper by a friend of ours there in November last year. He read it with interest and then looked up the web sites on the computer. I can honestly say that the reaction was immediate and Bill sat in that room for well over 24 hours. He cried, he laughed and he even called me to him to read some of the poems to me. I have not been allowed such access to his emotions in over 20 years and for that alone I thank you with all my heart.

The poems which he read, the ones he printed out and has framed about his spare room are what he calls his anchors. They are his comfort in his darker times and they are his friends who offer him a helping hand to pull him from his darkness, all this he has said himself. When I asked Bill how to sum up in words what your organisation had given him he said this.

It helped me discover that I have wasted so much time and mores the pity time with you. I sat in my own world thinking I was alone and that not even you could really understand. I have found in these poems that there are indeed many folk like me and even some worse off than I and that they know exactly what I feel and why. I have had this suffocating darkness lifted from my life and although it does appear from time to time, I live a totally different life now. I did not have to go to anyone for help and no one knows I needed it for which I am eternally grateful. My relationship with my lovely wife has been repaired and I never even realised it had been damaged so for that there can never be sufficient words for me to give thanks. I am forever in your debt and I shall continue to visit your pages of poems and stories.

From me too I say thank you. You have given me back my Bill, we are close friends again and I am part of his life which I missed so desperately. My thanks for the telephone chats with you, the electrical mail letters of support to Bill and the way in which you allowed us to help ourselves, it was all done so well we didn't even know it was happening.

I hope you raise your funds and become registered and as you said to us, may your god go with you too.

Yours sincerely

Bill and Margaret

Annie x - Poetry is always in motion

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4216 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:47:54  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sun is shining and it's a wonderful day, a day to read and shed a few tears over such a satisfying and wonderful letter. Bill and Margaret you have given me something wonderful too, to help through the written word and to reach out, to those that need, even if they don't always know it, is a warm feeling from the heart. May your future continue to be blessed,
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Southern
Administrator

United Kingdom

1799 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Peter Southern's Homepage Send Peter Southern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill and Margaret you have taken the first steps out of the darkness. Plenty of us out here but more and more of us have torches now, to show you the way. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/telegraphchristmasappeal/4249029/Telegraph-Charity-Christmas-Appeal-The-darker-side-of-serving-in-the-forces.html
Respect
Peter

http://a-moment-in-time.weebly.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Edited by - Peter Southern on 09/03/2009 22:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Sland

United Kingdom

343 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:12:08  Show Profile Send Sland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a beautifully written letter. My congratulations to both of you for finding each other again.

Rgds,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

Ex-English Army ( Ex-pat Geordie ), Berkshire
United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow ! What can I say ?
I feel so humble, and no thanks needed for bringing back your life. I myself have been helped more than you all know, through Flow for All and Forces Poetry. To Annie and Mac I say this: " You are my spiritual Guardians, and every day working for our cause brings me a purpose in life "
Remember:
" Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life ! "
Regards, and many thanks to everyone here on our evergrowing sites
Tom

http://im-a-soldier-get-me-out-of-here.weebly.com

Edited by - Tom Mcgreevy on 09/03/2009 12:45:28
Go to Top of Page

Kale

United Kingdom

345 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  13:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage Send Kale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill & Margaret

What a beautiful letter and so heart warming to know that FLOW has finally alllowed you to find some peace at last. I am new to the military family with my son just over a year into his army career. He has already had one posting to Iraq and I found out at weekend that he goes to Afghanistan in November of this year... November my son turns 21. As a mother, I have tried to find out as much about army life, the highs and lows and I found writing poetry a release for me of the ever growing worry and tension I felt whilst my son was deployed. Also, I found this wonderful site and the people on here are just fantastic, so supportive and understanding. I know some people who have suffered PTSD and yes, I have to agree, I didn't always understand, but, then again, with them, I didn't need to... they just needed to have someone to listen to them and to be able to offload... I am so happy that you now Bill have found an outlet as well. Please, keep on reading and why not give writing a go yourself, you may find it a very good release. Some of the poems from ex servicemen are very detailed, so much so that one can picture the very scenes they describe with their words... I know that many of these are their memories and must be painful to relive, but, again, necessary to overcome the past and move forward.

I wish you both all the best in the world, now, the future and forever.. Bless you both

Michaela (aka Kale) xxx

Kale's New Book Poems from the Heart - out now

We don't grow old from too much laughing... we grow old because we stop!

http://www.lulu.com/content/3998012
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Flow Publisher

United Kingdom

171 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  14:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Helen's Homepage Send Helen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a moving and honest letter. I'm so glad they asked you to share it, Annie, and pleased (and humbled) that I've been able to read it.

Well done, Bill and Margaret. All the best to you both, and to anyone else in a similar situation.

SilverWood Books
Publish now. Start the journey!
http://www.silverwoodbooks.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:51:16  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Both, Such a heart warming letter, i am so pleased for you, Be happy, and may your days be long and your love stay strong,Taffy
Go to Top of Page

Trebor

United Kingdom

230 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  20:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Trebor's Homepage Send Trebor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a two way street. I want to thank Bill and Margaret for brightening my day, too. Proof, if further proof were needed, of the power of the written word. Fantastic letter. Warmed my heart.
Go to Top of Page

davi.kill

Gainsborough Lincs
United Kingdom

264 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  00:49:44  Show Profile Send davi.kill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill & Margaret ( Names changed by request)
How wonderful, well done everybody. Dvea ( Name also changed)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000