header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Flows Forum
 Welcome and Please Say Hello
 Introduce yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Suetoo

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

82 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  21:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Suetoo's Homepage Send Suetoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom,

as much as i like a nice Guinness whatever happened to 'Stout'?
i remember my mum drinking that once in a while and Advokar (how ever that's spelt) at christmas.
How's your day been?

regards
Suetoo

Expect the un-expected!
Go to Top of Page

pops

Birmingham, Alabama
USA

576 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  22:14:01  Show Profile  Visit pops's Homepage Send pops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm never alone ---- there's always me, myself, and I, and occasionlly someone the Drs. try to tell me are not real, but I've had to many conversations with them to believe the Drs

pops.

Edited by - pops on 24/10/2008 22:15:50
Go to Top of Page

Suetoo

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

82 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  22:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Suetoo's Homepage Send Suetoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do the Drs think they know everything about us by reading books?

If i could read the books they have read would i know more about me
too?

pops, How's the weather on your side of the Pond?

Suetoo

Expect the un-expected!
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  23:11:19  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sue, Dubonnet, Cherry B - need I say more, other than a pint of mild please!
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

pops

Birmingham, Alabama
USA

576 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  05:09:39  Show Profile  Visit pops's Homepage Send pops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Suetoo the weather here is rain today, but sunshine tomorrow, good thing to, got to take my tractor over to a friends farm tomorrow and dig 30 post holes for him, he's putting up a new barn for his GOATS. Bad thing about the weather is it's turning cold (Winter coming on), and I hate cold weather ( I think I was supposed to be a nudist I don't like to wear a lot of clothes to stay warm, can't move around), my feet get old in November and don't warm up utill March, and with cold feet I'm misserable, and stay indoors mostly.

Wish I could live in bottom half of world when it's cold in top half, and live in top half when it's cold in bottom half.

Do ya'll get much snow there? Thank goodness we get snow only about ever 5 or 6 years.

Pops
Go to Top of Page

pops

Birmingham, Alabama
USA

576 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  05:36:31  Show Profile  Visit pops's Homepage Send pops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suetoo as for the Drs they just have an idea (guess). I lead a PTSD support group every Friday at the Veterans hospital here in Birmingham, Alabama, I didn't ask to be the leader, the guys in the group more or less appointed me. They say the difference in me, the Drs, and others is I don't sugar coat things, and when I say I know how you feel, it's because I've been there, felt that. Those that have not been there, or suffered that, have no way of knowing how you are. I've had Drs and interns sit in on some of the meetings and tell me they have a better understanding of people with PTSD after a couple of the sessions than they ever had before. I've even been approached by hospital and Government officials, as to how our support group gets along so good, yet some of the Dr lead groups don't, I tell them it's respect, brought on by, been there done that, not I read a book and went to a (safe) school and learned. I've even been ask to help start other support groups like ours, which I gave a very big YES to.
Just remember the Drs. do the best they can with what they have to go by, not everyone can go through the problems first hand.
This support group is the reason I started my on web page on PTSD, to help others.

pops
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  10:07:02  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done on that Pops - as you say you speak from experience, but also, from the heart. I am sure others will benefit from your wit and wisdom!
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Southern
Administrator

United Kingdom

1799 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  10:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Peter Southern's Homepage Send Peter Southern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree pops , one Dr I saw Had never heard of Combat Stress as an organisation, and I am sure that he didn't know what they do there. Yes of course you need to (a) get out and its (b) only in your head (c) you can be as you were. But when you are (a) having a bad day (b) just want to die (c)and cant see any future. Sorry off on one again, but I hate it when "THEY" say will be OK its only in your head. I have learnt to live with it the best I can, through living with it not from reading about it, And most of all I have a the best help in the world from - my Sue.

http://a-moment-in-time.weebly.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  10:29:24  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Pops, The help you give to others is priceless, i can only add that after reading your posts on this site i feel all the better for it.Pops one of the good things for me was asking you to visit our site, long may you continue. Best as ever Taffy.
Go to Top of Page

Suetoo

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

82 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  12:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Suetoo's Homepage Send Suetoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan, i hav'nt heard Dubonnet being mentioned for a while. One of the ladies in our Darts team used to drink that on match night and she always hit the Treble Twenties and Doubles to finish. The rest of us tried it and could'nt even hit the board!!!!
How about Babycham.......with Brandy.
Still preferred my Vodka with Ginger and Guinness.

Expect the un-expected!
Go to Top of Page

pops

Birmingham, Alabama
USA

576 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  14:22:57  Show Profile  Visit pops's Homepage Send pops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI PSOUTH130 Hang in there - you're right you have learned to live with it, and always will, as there is no cure. That is what I try to teach everyone about PTSD, you have to start to reconize things that set it off, and try to aviod them, do things like me, I have three large dogs (you dont have to have three one will do, I just need the company and love animals) that live in the house with me, when I awaken from one of the nightmares, scared, I've been able to train myself that it's not true because the dogs are laying on the bed with me and they're peaceful and calm, so it could not be real. TALK about it especially with someone who has the same problems, share what helps and what doesn't. I think your Sue is one of the GREATEST people in the world for standing by you and helping, may she alwys be blessed. Please visit my site ( http://www.freewebs.com/pops-world/submittedpoems.htm ) and read and have her read You me & PTSD , also please sign my guestbook.
Find yourself a quiet spot to go when days are bad, and in this quiet spot find you a hobby that is simple like drawing, doing crossword puzzles, ( I build wrecked trucks ), look on the internet for orgination of words, inventions, ect, anything to occupy your brain to keep it away from the unhappy places.
Be like me on the days you feel like dieing, think of those that would like to see you dead, and be determined to stick around to piss them off.
Anytime you want to talk about it give me a shout.

HAVE A GREAT DAY - YOU CAN SURVIVE -

POPS

Edited by - pops on 25/10/2008 14:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Suetoo

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

82 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  18:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Suetoo's Homepage Send Suetoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi pops, i hope you don't mind me saying but, for all i have read in this very short time of being part of the site and forum, i admire and respect the ability you have to Inspire others who suffer, to Understand others who suffer, and most of all to Educate and Inform the Decision Makers who Don't suffer.
Though i don't know you Pops, I can understand why the guys in the group appointed you. You are making a huge difference to many peoples lives not just your own. 'Don't ever give up on today or tomorrow.......after all, they may be a little bit better than yesterday!' No, it was'nt that Chinese Chap Confu..watsisname who said that, it's just one of the sayings iv'e developed over the years to help my Hubby through his dark, deep times.
Huge Respect and Regards,
Suetoo

Expect the un-expected!
Go to Top of Page

Suetoo

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

82 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  20:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Suetoo's Homepage Send Suetoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi psouth130, now i know why Tom made reference to me possibly knowing anyone called Peter...............you have a Sue too!
Hello to Sue too.
The words i have read in the last couple of posts from yourself Pete and Pops are very vivid and full of heart. I really, really hope everyone's tomorrows are better than the today's.
Regards
Suetoo

Expect the un-expected!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Southern
Administrator

United Kingdom

1799 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  21:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Peter Southern's Homepage Send Peter Southern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one reason why we all hope the book takes off not only to help with money, but to make people aware that not all those that come back are not wounded. Just because there are no scars to see dosen't mean I wasn't injured.

http://a-moment-in-time.weebly.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  22:15:34  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are all fighting and campaigning for the success of not only the book but this wonderful organisation that highlights this unseen but very real damage of trauma to the mind. Also encouraging release of inner thoughts in the hope of healing and prevention.
Pops, all power to your elbow! You and Peter stay strong, and know when you need to bow your head and say 'I hurt'. We are lucky we all found this site and founds friends to share thoughts and deep belly laughs with!
Jan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000