header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Flows Forum
 Welcome and Please Say Hello
 Introduce yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Poet Soldier

where ever they send me
340 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  19:01:16  Show Profile  Click to see Poet Soldier's MSN Messenger address Send Poet Soldier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My word! im right on the end of my tether today. yesterday i had a 6hr foot patrol, hardly any sleep, and then a 5hr cordon in a contact ied. its only the beginning of the week as well!.
Im a smurf! Get me out of here! haha
Alex
Go to Top of Page

davi.kill

Gainsborough Lincs
United Kingdom

264 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  22:51:34  Show Profile Send davi.kill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep on with the poems, Good Luck. Dave
I wouldn’t be a soldier
I wouldn’t be a soldier, fighting in a hole
I wouldn’t be a soldier, acting like a mole
I wouldn’t be a soldier, standing on parade
I wouldn’t be a soldier, hearing that tirade
I wouldn’t be a soldier, crawling in the sand
I wouldn’t be a soldier, bayonet clutched in my hand
I wouldn’t be a soldier, bad memories to reflect
I wouldn’t be a soldier, but I’d give them my respect
I was a simple Sailor; I know this may sound thick
All the time spent on the sea, it always made me sick.
“Respect”

David Killelay
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:23:39  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello David, Nice one, Sea Sick, i get it every time i cross the channel, once had an offfice in Scarborough overlooking the sea had to draw the blinds every time the it got a little rough.Thank goodness i became a Soldier, have big respect for the work Sailors do. Taffy
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:50:51  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dad, after a troubled childhood, joined the Merchant Navy at the age of 14 in 1928. He couldn't conquer his sea sickness, and left ship in Canada (I have all his records - as a deck boy!). He worked on farms in Canada before returning to Britain and joining the army. My Dad was a quiet man and kept a lot of his stories and history to himself, one day I hope to discover more! Then write of his life - my tribute to him!
I do know the sea sickness stayed with him on his subsequent travels on water during his war years. He didn't do boats after that!
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

sammy

United Kingdom

134 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  13:52:57  Show Profile  Visit sammy's Homepage  Click to see sammy's MSN Messenger address  Send sammy a Yahoo! Message Send sammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alex,

I hope you dont mind me asking, but I wonder if you'd be so good as to write a journal on here that you felt you could share with us ? What you're going through is so far removed from my experiences in the RAF from the mid to late 80's that I am really interested to hear what you're going through.

I'm really interested in getting the un-spun, un-diluted, un-distorted views of someone out there rather than the stuff that the media and government feed us. Perhaps the best attempt was Ross Kemp in Afghanistan, but in the end, it was still a show, no matter how good the reporting and how effective the portrayal ?

Perhaps something you could do in the coffee lounge between hob nobs ? ;)

Totally understand if you dont wish to, but very appreciative if you do.

Stay safe !

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  18:40:03  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, I echo these thoughts, it is so important to write as things are/were, before they get taken completely out of context by spin doctors acting for Politicians putting a gloss on things. Taffy
Go to Top of Page

Poet Soldier

where ever they send me
340 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:32:49  Show Profile  Click to see Poet Soldier's MSN Messenger address Send Poet Soldier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be really glad to do a day to day sitrep for you guys on whats going on out here.
if i came on this site at the start of my tour instead of the finish then it would be so much better cos then i could get on the comp after a patrol and right it out. obviously there are things in which im not allowed to divulge not to put a spin on it but because of security and safety of the fellas out here.
ill do what i can, i need to think about where to start.
in the booklt that im writing im putting in an autobiograpy in which i will try and ad as much as possible into it. obviously its no way finished and iv only just got to my first posting and im always adding new poems and describing their meanings to me.

so it may take a while, hope you understand. might make a new thread to put the day to day in.
Alex
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That' ok Poet Soldier - we are all I'm blessed with the patience to wait! It is the day to day stuff, that provides a true account, so good luck with it!
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Poet Soldier

where ever they send me
340 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  19:01:40  Show Profile  Click to see Poet Soldier's MSN Messenger address Send Poet Soldier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill start as soon as i can when i can don't you worry it will happen.
Alex
Go to Top of Page

sammy

United Kingdom

134 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  19:59:40  Show Profile  Visit sammy's Homepage  Click to see sammy's MSN Messenger address  Send sammy a Yahoo! Message Send sammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alex... and completely understand the need for opsec and persec. I'll look forward to reading it !

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Poet Soldier

where ever they send me
340 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Click to see Poet Soldier's MSN Messenger address Send Poet Soldier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When i get back to the UK i might release my LITTLE booklet (its about 45 pages so far!)
to anyone that would like to have a little look see. ill mail it to anyone who is interested.
it should be bigger and better by then but im quite proud of it so far and im in the middle of the autobiography (im only 21...22 soon) so obv its only a quarter way (hopefully) through my story.

Alex
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:04:59  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Poet Soldier, Great stuff, go for it , publish your work, and be proud of it. Best Taffy.
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  12:39:03  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Pops has got it right, Your Mum, your Wife, listen to their advice, but most of all, write your thoughts, and deeds when the muse strikes, and enjoy the writing. Then you can pick it all up later, and put it into publishing format. The postings so far have shown great promise. taffy
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  15:22:46  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Sound advice, when the thought occurs write it down, there will be plenty of time later, to sort and edit, the main thing is to get thoughts and mind pictures in some form of identity, anyway if and when you decide to publish you will receive help from the publisher, In the mean time forget all about spelling, correct gtammer etc, that is all for later. Good to hear of your efforts, and all the best will see you in print . taffy
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  17:31:13  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound advice from 'the Wise One'! Write it, as it is, the rest can wait!
Jan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000