header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Flows Forum
 Welcome and Please Say Hello
 Introduce yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2006 :  18:54:55  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, i am logged in as taffy, a little about myself,i was born in Mid Wales Dec 1919, yes i am getting a bit long in the tooth for all this malarkey, I first started writing about 8 years ago, booked in for a course on short story writing, it got cancelled so swapped it for one on poetry, and got hooked. Have had a couple of books published,the third almost ready for the printers.
My Army life started in 1938, Joined the Welsh Guards, served through Dunkirk, and Normandy, discharged after 8 years and 88days. rank Co.Sgt.Major. Have been active in a small way to get the Shot at Dawn underaged soldiers tried for desertion WW1. thankfully they have now been pardoned. Trust i am not too old , to partake in what is obviously a young dinamic site. Would be pleased to hear from you all with comments on my work and personel site.David.L.
Go to Top of Page

PaddyS

United Kingdom

324 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2006 :  20:50:27  Show Profile  Visit PaddyS's Homepage Send PaddyS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Céad Míle Failte Taffy,
I've had a quick look at your site and I must say, it is VERY impressive. I also had a quick skim through some of your poems. I particularly liked "The Threshers Lament", which made me chuckle. I can't do a Welsh accent though, so I had to try and imagine that part. I once witnessed a soldier friend have a similar experience in a pub. We never let him forget it.
In another vein, I was completely suckered in by the opening verse of "A walk in the sunken lane." I was reading what I thought was a piece of pastoral poetry, then bang, flashback to a Normandy lane. Very dramatic and very moving.
On this "young dynamic" site, at 63 I am probably one of the older members, so I am particularly pleased to welcome someone old enough to be my Dad! I look forward to reading more of your poems in the future.
A hundred thousand welcomes.
Paddy

Quote "So long as it comes from the heart."
Jimmy "Schnozzle" Durante. 1893-1980.
http://www.paddyspoetryandprose.weebly.com/
Paddy Slevin.
Site Moderator

Edited by - PaddyS on 28/11/2006 20:51:28
Go to Top of Page

Melanie C

United Kingdom

4 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  02:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Melanie C's Homepage  Send Melanie C an AOL message Send Melanie C a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi all,
My name is Melanie I am 31 years young, I am married to my very own soldier boy Mark 29, (My toy-boy). We have 1 child Robyn who is now 15 years old. Hubby serving in Germany while we sit and miss him, here in good old U.K. Loving this site, and all the poems. I was very surprised at how many talented poets there are out there. I have submitted a couple of my own, hope you enjoy.
Laters
Melanie x x
Go to Top of Page

PaddyS

United Kingdom

324 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  11:17:56  Show Profile  Visit PaddyS's Homepage Send PaddyS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Céad Míle Failte to you too Melanie,
Your third poem, "Hidden Me", is up on the site today. I loved the rhythm and cadence of the poem which lends itself to being read aloud at a varying pace. A bit like Auden's "The Night Mail".
I shall look forward to reading more of your poems. How about a Christmas one?
A hundred thousand welcomes.
Paddy

Paddy Slevin.
Site Moderator

Edited by - PaddyS on 29/11/2006 11:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Danny Moore

United Kingdom

5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  15:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Danny Moore's Homepage Send Danny Moore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi to all
I'm Danny, took a bit of time to introduce myself as dont normally post anything, anywhere!! I am 50yrs old but frequently behave like I am 17 (or so I'm told by my wife) I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren.
I have only been writing poetry for 3 yrs and only got into it when my my wife submitted some of my work to a publisher. I decided to send 2 poems to this splendid site and now I am getting a little more familiar with the site I am encouraged to submit some more. I think the site is a friendly, encouraging arena and I have enjoyed reading my way through the rich compilation of all the members work so far.
Obviously thanks to Annie and Peaches who I am sure have a huge workload.

Danny
Each new dawn is a good day
Go to Top of Page

PaddyS

United Kingdom

324 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  21:40:57  Show Profile  Visit PaddyS's Homepage Send PaddyS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny,
Nice to hear from you. I remember reading both of your poems a good while back. I found the one about the little boy "One last time" particularly moving.

Good to hear that you're going to submit some more. I'll look forward to reading them.

Regards
Paddy

Paddy Slevin.
Site Moderator

Edited by - PaddyS on 05/12/2006 21:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  08:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny, good to see you on here and your lovely comments are much appreciated. Yes sadly I am very busy now which was unexpected but thanks to our volunteers namely Peaches, Chris and Paddy we are able to keep our members happy, without their help I'd be completely over my head.

I look forward to seeing more of your poems as all are welcome and each one is valued.

Thanks for posting.

Annie x - Poetry is always in motion
Go to Top of Page

Rick

United Kingdom

46 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2006 :  12:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Rick's Homepage Send Rick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WELCOME Taffy, Danny Moore and Melanie C.

I think that I've spelt 'welcome' correct this time.

My deepest and sincerest thanks from the bottom of my heart Taffy for your work in getting pardons for the Shot at Dawn under age soldiers of World War one. You and the others working to achieve pardons have my highest admiration for this. Thank you.

That was a horrendous nasty and grossly unfair time, situation and war. I do hope that you can put something up on the forum about your work on this.

The poor souls were treated in a way that, I feel, few people nowadays can comprehend. It was truly horrendous!!

Rick

Care for our Forces, our Ex-Forces and The Environment!

Edited by - Rick on 27/12/2006 12:37:37
Go to Top of Page

Phil

United Kingdom

0 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2007 :  06:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Phil's Homepage Send Phil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all, my name is Phil and I was pointed here by a serving soldier who is the son of a dear friend. I have visited this site now for some weeks and today decided to visit and register.

My first comment must be to congratulate you on your standard of poetry, your open and honest discussions and the ease of navigation around the site. Well done all and thank you for letting me join.

I hope to spend some wonderful summer evenings reading through your poetry in the evening sunshine. I am not really a poet but I may even attempt a line or two in the months to come. Regards Phil.

Poetry, the minds mirror ...
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  14:30:13  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome Phil, As a fairly new member myself, i hope you will enjoy your reading , and postings to this great site, as much as i do.
taffy.arlewis @ proprose.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  13:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil and welcome welcome welcome. It is great to have another person join our community here at Forces Poetry. Enjoy the wonderful poems we are lucky enough to have here and if there's anything you can suggest to improve things just let us know and we'll try to help. If you enjoy the site then please spread the word to others.

Go to Top of Page

Sally

127 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  14:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Sally's Homepage Send Sally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say 'hallo' to everyone, really love this site. Probably won't be much of a contributor as inspiration to pen a poem only hits me about once a year. I began to write novels almost by accident a couple of years ago (a requested article grew and grew, like Topsy!) and my first was picked up and published in February --- wouldn't you know it, quite a large chunk about the Home Front in it, won't surprise anyone who has read my poem. Now on my third novel. Until quite recently my husband and I toured locally with a talk about animals in war---called it 'One Dogs War' and took our own dogs along. It helped to raise money for the animal memorial that Jilly Cooper was then trying to get erected. Stopped the talk when mission was accomplished but delighted to see an interest in our loyal four legged friends on the site. Many thanks for putting my very personal poem on the site and to those who read it.
Go to Top of Page

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1631 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  16:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sally and thanks for your lovely post above. You can contribute as much or as little as you wish and if you pass the word to any others they too are welcome under the same terms. All are welcome even if they just want to read our growing number of excellent poems.

Loved your poem and I hope you get as much pleasure from all these wonderful poems as I do.

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  09:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sally, sorry for the late hello and welcome (been soooo busy).
Thanks for your lovely comments about the site and please remember we don't expect everyone back here every day at all. If you get pleasure from just relaxing sometimes with a nice drink and wandering through the poem as I often do then that would be great.
Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

smudge781

1 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2007 :  21:28:53  Show Profile  Visit smudge781's Homepage Send smudge781 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi my name is chris im no poet im 50 served my time just looking and reading trying to understand
things. Keep up the good work!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000