header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Coffee Shop
 Chat over a coffee
 Croc'ery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  11:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am down in London with Nell at the moment, her basement flat was flooded, in a minor manner, with sewerage, fortunately she was able to stop any major damage and to get most of it cleared away; one of the sewer drains got blocked and backed up the entire system for the basement flats.

Oddenstein has been looking over various patterns for his body, though I have managed to persuade that the cord material will make him faster if it runs parallel to his length - he is considering whether or not he wants 'go faster' stripes.

Last week he found a shop called 'The Body Shop' and was most put out that they did not stock crocodile bodies...

I am in the process of building a shop on eBay, which is called 'Croc's Corner Shop' where we shall stock everything from the arcane to the mundane; shall start with postcards, then branch into costume and theatre and then into jewellery, after that I shall be selling prints of Nell's and my artwork, and the originals - once I have figured out how to prevent stuff from being 'ripped off'.

My idea is that the photos on the site shall show no more than 60% of the original and that the limited editions of the prints will show no more than 90% of the original. This should prevent, to some extent, people being able to pull stuff off the site and then sell it as theirs.

This is a long-term project and is one of the reasons for having to give up being moderator, I have also had to give up the welding - not just because of time, but also because I was not satisfied with my level of competence in line with my non-existant fine motor control and the severe pain that the welding was causing to my spine.

If any of you are 'fortunate' enough to be married to someone with Asperger's Syndrome and/or high function autism then the following book may be of interest:
'Alone Together - Making an Asperger Marriage Work' by Katrin Bentley (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2007) ISBN 978-1-84310-537-4, it has a foreword by Professor Tony Attwood and is available from http://www.nas.org.uk/ or from the publisher at http://www.jkp.com/

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1626 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  09:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear of Nells flooding, it can be such an awful experience whe it is bad. The body shop! I can just see the perplexed look of the poor shop assistant when you asked if they stocked Crocs. Priceless!

Good luck with your ebay work it sounds great and I hope you can protect your property from these thieves.

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  10:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poor Nell, what rotten luck. I was flooded out once when a young girl and it is the most soul destroying thing to see so many lovey things ruined.

The eBay thing sounds great Chris, you'll be joining the ranks of those self made millionaires soon enough, go for it. We'll be fine here without your helping hand but I shall leave you on there as I feel certain one day you'll be back to get involved again. Enjoy!

Annie x - Poetry is always in motion
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  11:15:09  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Chris, So sorry to hear of Nell being flooded, at home in mid Wales in the 1930's we got flooded once or twice a year, it is hell.
Good luck with the shop etc, Crock Body shop N.B.G.try the Big Mans shop you might get lucky. Please keep us posted on his progress,Best as ever, Taffy
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2007 :  23:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me see now, Oddenstein's new body will be fitted a week on Sunday - I'm keeping that weekend free for all my sewing jobs - and that should keep him happy.

Figment now has a rubber dry suit - so he can now float around in the bath without sinking, ignominiously, to the bottom, usually with his mildew alarm blaring.

Monument has been turning over in his grave again because Figment has been buying traffic islands with a view to turning them into swampy Nature Reserves - nothing like being a protected species and the opportunities for the odd midnight snack...

The last time Monument turned over, Figment had him reburied under 50 tons of cement, that was after Figment invested in a few Tourist Traps.

Then there was getting Monument out of the swamp and down to the burial plot, Figment had to have a bendy hearse, otherwise they would never have got grandfather round the corners, then there was the trenching machine and two cranes and the steel headstone with 'F I P' neatly incised - Float in Peace - though Figment did admit, just before Monument spun around for the first time, that he got it from a job lot of Fuel Injection Pumps.

Then there is Moment, so named because he always had momentum, he is the kind of croc that you really do not want to be near, Jonah was positively lucky by comparison, indeed you could bet that he would come 3rd in a duel and destroy the swamp in the process.

After many adventures and much destruction he was exiled to the moon - actually they loaded him into a crate with 10 tons of pickling vinegar and catapulted him off into space in the vague direction of the moon - presumably he arrived because there have been sightings of a croc in a sleeping back when the moon is in a crescent and vaguely bed-shaped.

While out in my powerchair with Oddenstein we happened upon a sign outside our local hospital, which has just banned smoking, now, as most of you know, autism leaves me with a totally literal mind so what do you think my mind made of the following sign:

SMOKE FREE HOSPITAL

?

Now to me this sign says that you can smoke for free at this hospital, can anyone say why?

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2007 :  11:09:36  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Chris, Puzzled one day you write the most lucid , and clearly defined reports on most subjects, and the next the most rediculas far out imaginative objects are your subjects. Do you have two hats, one for each subject, (Sorry should not have called your friends rediculous) SMOKE FREE HOSPITAL, how about this one FREE RANGE EGGS, do range lay eggs?. I do so enjoy your postings, keep them coming.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2007 :  12:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I am the same as Jack Dee who has a very literal turn of mind on the world in general.

As to being analytical yes, but I am also intensely creative, apart from poetry I make soft toys, draw cartoons, paint in oils, acrylics, watercolours and even the odd tea bag, sculpt in clay, milliput and steel - hence the welding course.

Everything I do is governed by the fact that I am totally face-blind and reliant upon other people to tell me that I know them; then there is the synaesthesia, which allows me to enjoy all my senses at the same time, e.g. sound is not just heard it is also seen as masses of colours, it is felt and smelled and tasted - I think that is why I have a really good memory.

The autism prevents me from using fine motor control so I have difficulty measuring things or doing fine work or playing a musical instrument, I tend to use the creeping method when doing a sculpture this is where I use really wide allowances and then sand down to where I want things to be; because I am face-blind I do not see the 412 facial expressions that you neurotypicals use as non-verbal communication and so the whole section of human life known as social interaction is completely closed to me - it is like being an alien on your own world.

On the other hand I do have an IQ of 167 so there are some compensations, though I would prefer to have social interaction as opposed to intelligence.

As to my way of being different, yes I am because they are in different compartments and these do not communicate with each other.

Think about a library here all the books are referenced, indexed, cross-referenced, on computer and hand-written cards.

Now a neurotypicals mind has a book for each circumstance and they are all inter-related and interconnected.

With autism my brain structure is completely different, firstly I have a large 'X' shaped void in the middle, my library is not referenced or indexed or cross-referenced or anything and there is no interaction between one action and the next, i.e. I live now and every action I take is completely and totally new, even if I have done it everyday since I was born. This is the decision process of my brain, which means that it can take months for me to make a decision that would take you a fraction of a second to do.

For me, this is an advantage because it allows me to see things and to analyse them, but I have no doubt that it is annoying to ables.

Learning takes forever because my short-term memory was destroyed by 18 sessions of ECT during a time I was diagnosed as both schizophrenic and deeply depressed, as I was told it was voluntary so I refused and they sectioned me and gave me them anyway so voluntary is a bit of a misnomer to me where psychiatrists are concerned.

However, I find that the synaesthesia assists and the total mono-mindedness and the deep levels of concentration allow me to read a book in at around a page a minute and remember it all, not as words but as images.

Once I have read a book I will then put it away and then re-read the book from memory, if there are any gaps then I pick the book up and refer to those gaps and sort them out.

Often people find me staring into space and get worried but I am usually thinking or re-reading a book.

When I went through the mental hospital at Bexlet (6 years) I came to the conclusion that the only person who was going to get me out of there was me, so I looked for some way of integrating the various bits of me that were fighting each other.

While in the army I taught first aid and was required to teach some of the young children, in the end I came up with a set of crocodile puppets - easy to make and animate - and I thought about giving each part of me a name and a crocodile from the puppet set, so that is basically where the crocodiles come from.

Nowadays I am integrated and the crocs have become a set of cartoons with a mildly wierd way of looking at life; they also have bodies and either live on the radiator or in the large dog bed.

I hope this helps you to understand me a little better.

And now finally one of those intrusive questions one is asked by nosy Robin Bustards: "How do you have sex in a wheelchair?"
The quick reply is "with the brakes on" or "Frequently"

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2007 :  16:06:08  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Chris, You must have thought my posting to be thoughtles, i can now see that it was, stupid really. Your explanation is truly mind blowing, you are one hell of a guy, i mean that anyone reading it would be full of admiration for your endeavors. Thanks for telling your story, i raise my glass in your honour. taffy
Go to Top of Page

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1626 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2007 :  17:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too!!! In fact my little mind boggles....

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2007 :  19:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks, but your question was and is valid and I answered it.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2007 :  22:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, what a great writer you are. I am so glad that you still manage to write on here, your knowledge and way with words and your honesty is a wonderful concoction.

If I may be so bold to say Chis; Taffy you would not have ruffled a feather on Chris with any comment. Chris is has a wondeful way of being quite factual and has the shoulders of a great oak.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2007 :  00:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful sentiment Annie, thank you - though I did ask my sister what the appropriate response would be.

Another thought strikes one - cups hand to ear and waits... bong! - never ever ask me for what I really honestly think about a something, unless you want to read precisely what I think; another thing about autistic people is that we cannot tell lies.

Lying is something only you neurotypicals can do and I suspect that lying must have come about through social interaction and the need to smooth the ways and means that you manage to communicate with each other. This is only speculation of course, but I think that I am right.

As to what anyone thinks about me that is fine I have never taken offence at something someone says because being forthright, open and honest is how I am and I expect others to be exactly the same with me.

Of course the medium of words in a forum is an ideal place for me to reside, there is only the mind here and I am the equal of everyone else and there are no barriers in the medium of language and grammar.

It might be seen that I am a trifle pompous at times and that happens when I am trying to express ideas and thoughts in neurotypical terms rather than in a form that another autistic person would understand.

Also, there are times when I have an emotional overload and write poetry that is not necessarily about me or my experiences but is rather a result of an overload caused by the actions or inactions of someone else, e.g. Craig.

However, generally poetry is my emotional shorthand and is an opening into my world for non-autistic people.

I prefer to use short paragraphs because I cannot talk in a long-winded fashion about a particular item, never-the-less I can write long letters on a variety of items that may be said to form a completed grammatical image.

The perfect form is the sonnet of 2 verses in pentatonic meter and the lines in couplets, a verse of 6 and a verse of 8 lines. Fourteen short lines to express something which may be very complex; this is a perfect reflection of autism...

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2007 :  07:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like open and honest, it is so much easier to cope with. I have often wondered at the expression "reading between the lines". Perhaps because I was never much good at it. I always read what is there and that is that. I regard myself as honest boardering on blunt but I do try not to be as this can often lead to conflict. I find this conflicting in itself as if one is honest at least there is little doubt or ambiguity.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2007 :  11:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me there is only right or wrong, though I do know that there are areas where making a decision changes the pattern of expected responses and so another decision may be necessary to restore the required pattern.

I think that you talk about grey areas, that is areas where there are too many possible combinations of circumstance for a particular person to cope because neurotypicals always see the whole of anything whereas an autistic person will see the singularities and patterns within the whole without seeing the overall picture.

Then we arrive at a point where we can see the possible patterns and the probable outcomes and project forward to a theoretical point at which we can see many whole pictures of the available patterns - as you have probably guessed we are very good at playing chess or writing music or mathematics, sciences, analysis, research, librarians, project management, entrepreneurs especially in the social sense, stock market brokers, bankers, etc. usually anything which relies heavily upon data and not too much social interaction.

Business and the running of organisations is largely a separate world with separate rules of engagement, the social interactions are strictly controlled by the documents, policies, procedures, laws and governance documents and regulations and this is what attracts me and I can try to be social and to interact with people on my own terms - its my business.

I have owned 3 sole trader businesses - dry stone walling, bricking gang, then into the hospital and house cleaning co-operative of people released from Bexley to the half-way house; then I was licensed for the rest of the UK and released from care, went to see what I could do and was declared unemployable in 1992.

1993 I started DIG:ITT - Disability Information Group: Integration Through Technology which started as various databases on dial up bulletin board systems (BBS)in 1998 we became a charitable company and have managed to maintain a dormant status ever since because we do not trade because we are a Local Exchange Trading Scheme (LETS) based on TIME rather than barts (they are still taxable whereas time is not).

It is now a worldwide network of 517 commercial sites plus 267 which have remained purely for the client, i.e. amateur giving a total of 784 sites in 114 countries using 71 local languages; our main lingua franca are English, French, German, Spanish and Chinese.

In order to be a member you have to be so severely disabled that you are unemployable and you have to be able to demonstrate that you have tried all the options available to you and to provide witness testimony.

We do not advertise and we do not go after funding or grants.

After all the objective is to see how far we can go without any help and having regular money means that you are continually expecting the trenches (French word apostrophe over first 'e') to bale you out everytime you screw up.

In 1999 I started Croc-around-Britain, which is an access project involving some 600 volunteers compiling data on access across the UK and Ireland, I expect this to take a minimum of 25 years.

Another project which is tied into Croc and is something that I try to do when I have some spare time is a journey by handcycle around the highest recorded tide lines of the British Isles and Ireland, this means not only doing the coast but also travelling up and down the sides of rivers to their highest point at which the tide has reached, the total distance is just over 50,000 miles.

I am also doing the 634 islands that are around the coast.

I have had a little help from friends who are ex-military and contacts in the armed forces and I have often spent a week going 5 miles because I have had to follow an area of mud and that means crawling along on my hands and knees with a rope and a spike and then hauling the trike and trailer up to me and so on; likewise there are times when I have to haul it through high sand dunes or figure out how to get over walls and stiles, perhaps the most interesting was doing the Southwest Coastal Path around the coast of Cornwall when you are on a cliff path with a sheer drop on one side and a steep rise on the other one finds that terror is highly stimulating and concentrates the mind wonderfully - my chair was wider than the path.

I can still walk a little but the pain causes severe aggression and I am better off staying in the powerchair for everyday stuff, though I work with a group of around 20 disabled people and we have an allotment of one and a half acres mainly fruit and vegetables and I have 2 raised beds for me and Nell.

Apart from the autism I have a smashed up back caused by an accident a few years ago in the army and then my immune system went into overdrive, my spine is fused from C1 to 4 and D9 down, basically it looks a bit like an upside down question mark with my tummy pushed far forwards, the fused state is continuing and eventually the whole of my spine and pelvis will fuse solid and then it will go into the other joints and bones.

It is called ankylosing spondylosis and is a form of arthritis, I also have cervical spondylosis, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, systemic arthritis which affects my eyes, skin, internal organs and I get bouts of psoriasis and eczema on my head.

Due in part to the loss of fine motor control from the autism and damage to the spine from the arthritis my face is fixed in a single passive expression I cannot show any feelings, though I do have a loud voice if you annoy me - grin.

I do not view myself as disabled that is something which others have applied to me, rather I see it as a learning curve and a way of allowing myself to understand what I am and what I am capable of.

Oh there is nothing super here, I have deep depressions - the 'black dog' WS Churchill called it - and terrible fears that I shall never be able to get this part done because I am so frustrated that I cannot learn something or make a decision; but out of this has come patience and being able to use the crocs and to put them into rooms in my head and work them together in the same way that you work a team of people to achieve a project.

At the end of the day, getting out of Bexley was a matter of making friends with myself and forming me into a single unit, all be it in many rooms and characters.

Perhaps I am lucky not to have a full spectrum of emotions, I don't know what you feel you see, so I have no comparisons, you are as unreal to me as colour is to someone who has been blind from birth.

Yet I share the same feelings as all creatures I am happy when I am full or warm or safe and unhappy when I am not, I get aggressive and I get frightened, and, I get none of these and am neutral, and yes, I love in a wholesome way and accept the whole person into my life.

I commend these three basic rules for life and hope that you may find them useful:

1. Accept people as they really are and not as I want them to be;
2. Do not live other peoples' lives for them;
3. Do not 'knock it' unless you have tried it many times, i.e. 'walk a mile in another man's shoes ' - Ghandi.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  15:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm down with a cold and cannot stop sneezing, which makes Oddenstein unhappy because he does not want me sneezing all over him and slamming needles into his body each time a bout takes hold.

I'm willing to glue him into his new cloth, but that went down like a lead balloon in a urinary catheter, meanwhile he is stretched out on a warm radiator, tapping his claws and muttering.

Still waiting for some computer hardware to come - a multiple card reader and a high spec. multi-finction printer - these should make life a lot easier for me and I should be able to put things onto the various auction sites a lot easier.

Nell is busy clearing out her old flat - as much as possible - she is signing for the new flat, hopefully, tomorrow and her landlords are supposed to be moving her and replacing the items that got damaged - they have admitted liability for the damage caused.

I told Nell not to lose her temper and what she should quote and what she should leave vague and she has a lovely, fully-adapted, disability flat in Richmond on the ground floor, so I shall be able to go down to her in my powerchair.

Meanwhile her neighbour in the other basement flat has been screaming and shouting and has had very little done and is unlikely to be rehoused.

I gather that the smell of damp is over-powering and can be smelled in the flats above the basements.

One of Nell's brothers is down, from Northampton, today and he will box up all the heavy stuff and disconnet any gas or electric fittings - he is fully qualified.

With a bit of luck, Nell should be moved in by the end of next week and then her collection of teddy bears (250+) can be unpacked.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1626 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  07:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, bear city! I am delighted to hear that Nell has got her accomm sorted at last and nice to hear a good end to a rotton saga.

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000