header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stories
 Comment on peoples stories
 A Circus with no Clowns (Jan Hedger)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SapperG

United Kingdom

523 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  20:17:38  Show Profile Send SapperG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Jan,
Enjoyed reading this story from your very early days, on through Childhood.
I was expecting to read of characters such as the "Great Charlie Cairoli"
Instead an even greater character filled out the story lines, your dear "Aunt Ruby" who was a redoubtable woman and I was pleased to see she was "Mentioned in Despatches" by the Fire Brigade.

Interesting to read about the "3 Ringed Circus" in Birmingham.
Does it have any connection with the "Bull Ring" of the same City?

It must have been both exciting and informative to have an early "crush" on the Fire Fighters of old.
I have heard of "Where's George" - George Merrill the Chief Fire Officer at the time of the Birmingham Bombings.

I am familiar with "The Shout" when they received a call out.
We were trained as Fire Fighters when I was in the 'Sappers' as a back up during the strikes.
We had to contend with the Old Bone Shakers "Green Goddesses" what a farce.:) still we were well drilled by the Professionals.
I had arms like an Orangutan after carrying all those sand buckets.:)

You should be proud of this offering celebrating as it does the "Brave Men and Women" of our Fire Service.
Another great "Shout".
God Bless Jan(Edna)
Richard

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4216 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  16:58:17  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For such a glowing comment of appreciation Richard - I forgive you the Edna! Lol _ I shall bring you some stuff to look at on Tuesday.

Sadly the Bull Ring was out on its own for naming purposes - sad because it was used as an area many years ago for Bull and Bear baiting.

When they rebuilt it - recently - I for one wish they had changed the name as well!

Maybe a another story for another day

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000