header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Coffee Shop
 Chat over a coffee
 Writing/composing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sherlock
Administrator

nottingham
United Kingdom

367 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  15:53:22  Show Profile Send sherlock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you write your poems/stories? Whenever I sit down to write THE POEM I always end up with a blank piece of paper or one filled with doodles. It seems I can only write "off the cuff" or from some phrase/remark I hear.
I would be interested to hear how other poets and writers go about composing and how they feel about the results. Regards Don

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

251 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  12:26:10  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall put my thinking cap on for this and post a reply shortly Good wishes, as ever...
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  14:43:32  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good topic to kick start 2017 Coffee Shop! Thanks Don. When I have committed my thoughts to your question to that blank piece of paper ....

I will be back.

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

251 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  17:48:13  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have just written a comprehensive account of what I do to have it disappear before my eyes on the last sentence. Here goes again. Rather like you, Don, it's usually a sentence I hear on the radio, something I read or, more occasionally, an idea which just presents itself from nowhere in particular. Think it's important to have pen and paper handy early in the morning, or last thing at night, as I can compose one in my mind then lazily turn over in bed to awaken with my mind blank and my brilliant composition gone. Find myself searching for a pen that actually works some times while trying to remember the lines. Recently read of a fire at a castle where a friend of mine was a gardener. The fire destroyed the roof of Naworth Castle, Brampton, but the ivy courtyard walls, and climbing jasmine were untouched. Viscount Morpeth had written a poem dedicated to the jasmine, so its survival seemed almost miraculous. That is a story which would have me finding out more about jasmine, if there were any myths attached to the flower, and my mind would try and weave a poem around that. Phone is ringing will conclude later....
Go to Top of Page

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

251 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  18:31:05  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Borrowing from the tradition,' is a description I heard about Robbie Burns whose genius, some believe, was to take others' earlier work and improve on it till almost became his own, as well as the genius of his own original compositions. Artists often learn their technique by copying earlier artists' work to help them as they find their own unique signature. A sentence of another's poem can trigger of an idea for one of my own too. Don't studiously do this but I think it would be a good way to begin and to learn good composition...
Other than that I often go over earlier poems that didn't work and try to make them viable. Always a pleasure when you rediscover one and think it reads pretty well...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000