header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 News
 Our News
 Remembering my Dad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A gentle man who suffered a lot of years with ill health - my Dad came from a secret - a hard and difficult childhood. Ran away to sea - with his fathers permission at 15 years old (from a very tough homelife) in the Mercahnt Navy - couldn't settle the sea sickness - so jumped ship, at Canada - into slave labour on a farm, escaped with money from Aunt to be - homeless in London - then found the family he was lacking - the army. Signed on at Chelsea Barracks and served in India And Burma - medically dischrged early 1939 - recalled back to army when war broke out - after meeting and marrying my Mum. 2 years stationed around Britain then last three and a half years in Egypyt (no Leave)

Today 27th March would have been his birthday - he was taken to early.

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

251 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2017 :  10:52:41  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your father had a very adventurous life. That, in spite of all he endured with ill-health and other 'vicissitudes' he remained a gentle man makes him especially admirable. A former, elderly neighbour of mine would say her husband was 'a gentle man.' She would then repeat it saying 'a gentle man' not 'a gentleman' without any suggestion of disparagement..
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2017 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob bless you and thanks for your related tale.

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000