header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Poems
 Comment on peoples poems
 2 'opposite' poems from Don Holmes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4266 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  17:11:02  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YOUNG AND IN YOUR PRIME

When you were young and in your prime

You never thought of passing time

The challenge that each new day brought

A chance to live, a girl to court

Seize the moment, seize the day

Canít let a minute slip away

But minutes soon turn into hours

And age reduces all your powers

No matter how you fight and try

Those fun-filled days soon pass you by

One minute you think lifeís a breeze

And then you start to cough and wheeze

That body you thought lean and honed

Has soon become just skin and bone

Strange how inside you still feel

Your bodyís young and sprung like steel

But gasping as you climb to bed

You know itís just inside your head

How cruel the thoughts of passing time

Now youíre not young and in your prime

PROMISE OF SPRING

Forget the wind that drives the rain

To rat-tat-tat your window pane

Forget the leaden skies of grey

That force the sun to hide away

The fruitful earth will soon reveal

A mass of flowers, to make you feel

That winterís cold was worth the wait

For natureís chance to celebrate

The warming glow of springtime sun

Will make you feel lifeís just begun

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

276 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  11:44:05  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greatly enjoy contrast in poetry which, when it works, fully engages your attention. All the couplets within the poems read very well indeed and the message of Promise of Spring, in particular, is especially welcome and timely....
Go to Top of Page

sherlock
Administrator

nottingham
United Kingdom

378 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  15:21:13  Show Profile Send sherlock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob. Iím glad you enjoyed them. It would be really good if we had more comments on the site or just a message or two from people to say what is happening in their lives. I know I have harped on about this before but Flow is too good to die of neglect. Regards Don
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4266 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  18:56:08  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sad too - when I joined FLOW was alive and vibrant - I won't let go easy! Mac is aware and is working behind the scenes.

On your poems - Don - the first resonates - unexpected pain where there never was any -and where does it come from! From prime to skin and bone!

It was said in Chirk Writers Group - when there were downturned faces about winter - (we were sharing Spring poems) that 'we need winter to enjoy spring' - so yes forget - forget - forget and look towards.

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

276 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2018 :  15:35:12  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The site has been amazingly resilient and with the contributions over the years has more than proved its worth. There's so much out there to draw people's attention, in every area of life, there is so much competition for out time and attention. Would be really refreshing if some of 'the names' from the past returned to invigorate the site and I'm confident that there will be the next stage of Flows onward progress. I'm working on a poem called The Keswick Painting which I think is too ambitious an enterprise. The Keswick Painting, by Joseph Brown, shows denizens of the town all standing outside the Moot Hall looking towards the viewer. There is The Hermit of Skiddaw, and John Crow, who made money at the fairs imitating crows, and sundry others. William Hogarth a master clogger. William Hogarth's nephew fought and died with the Londsdales as they advanced on The Liepzig Salient, I believe it was. I'm trying to create a poem drawing in uncle and nephew both memorialized in Keswick.The younger at The Keswick Cenotaph, the uncle posing in the painting a few minutes walk away at the town's museum. My 'poem' The Hermit of Skiddaw was just some speculative lines some of which might be in the finished poem. A daunting undertaking I hope to enter in for inclusion in an anthology being compiled by Handstand Press for writers working in Cumbria. Problem is, for such an expansive theme, you have to do it all in sixty lines at the most. Anyway that is what I'm attempting to do and we'll just have to see if it ever comes to fruition. Good wishes for now, Don, and remain resolute...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000