header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Poems
 Comment on peoples poems
 On Remembrance....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

296 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2018 :  08:58:15  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote

ON REMEMBRANCE...

The sounds of battle have long gone
tilled fields lie silent on The Somme.
The road traverses No-Man's Land
where men of peace on earth once sang.
Pilgrims walk the Road of Peace
the bees upon Life's nectar feed.
Where men would dread the whistles' blow
Wild-hawthorn, and the fruit trees, grow.
Where a thousand hearts with fear would pound
the wealds, with wreaths of poppies, crowned
-that lulled the ancient's into sleep
On remembrance of the fallen speak...
'Though I'll fight to hold the battle line
the bloodiest bayonet wont be mine
God will it that I should be spared
that echoing silence of the grave...'
Mortally wounded men, an historian said
would crawl to reach a riverbed...
The tunnel of light at the end
that eternal river of the dead.
White-serried ranks parade in death
those lions by the donkeys led.
Birds through azure skies now wing
the skylarks of lost poets sing..

Robert Carson

Heard there was a plan to build a road along the length of No-Man's Land, a Pilgrims Way.

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4301 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  05:01:30  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such strong imagery running through this poem Rob gives one goosebumps. Ending with the Skylark is quite poignant for me at the moment as Bellan House school invited me to hear their written poems for the schools poetry slam I am running within the Wilfred Owen Festival in 2 weeks time! When I went in previously to help them with inspiration to write - we talked about that 'quieter side of war' as well as the noise etc. I shared a story about a soldier freeing a robin from barbed wire - a lot of the children picked up on this and featured skylarks in their own poems - it was a proud and goosebump hour with them - so you see why your poem is significant on this day.

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Carson

carlisle
United Kingdom

296 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  11:42:04  Show Profile Send Rob Carson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comment, Jan, in which you said On Remembrance...resonated with the theme of your recent school project. Sounds an interesting venture for you and for the students. Taffy. in his exceptional story, wrote that, even amid a very harrowing scene, the moon glinting in the water was a beautiful thing to see.
Will attach your comment to the poem. Good wishes as ever....
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4301 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  05:50:29  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tank you Rob - and yes Taffy certainly did poetically beautiful - moving and yet tragic at the same time -

Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000