header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Coffee Shop
 Chat over a coffee
 My Asperger's Syndrome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have stuck this here in the hope that we can avoid future misunderstandings in relation to how I and you get along and communicate.

Chris Green: My Asperger's Syndrome

My AS covers all 11 of the main categories and 30 of 46 sub-categories, of the data-set, which is used to diagnose AS. I am classed as ‘severe’ and this means that I am also learning disabled. Yes, I am highly intelligent (the army tested me at IQ167), but I am not working with the same mental set up as the rest of you.

NB: please see file ‘Advantages_of_AS.rtf’

The main differences between my world and yours are:

1.I cannot cope with noise. My ideal world is silent, and I can choose what I want to hear, e.g. choosing to go to the cinema, choosing to work in a particular environment, etc. As opposed being subject to noisy neighbours, emergency vehicle sirens, intrusive music on documentaries, bus brakes, i.e. being unable to choose and being forced to hear something, which I find overwhelming, for example a group of people talking and unable to pick out a voice.

2.I live in a literal world. When I am in a new verbal situation I need the interviewer to be aware that I take things literally, and that most humour passes me by. Another side-effect is that I cannot tell lies, not even tactful ones.

3.I do not have ‘common-sense’ that is because I cannot relate one incident to another; I use a person to communicate and translate your world into mine for me, usually my sister.

4.I do not understand the ‘obvious’ because it does not exist in a literal world because the presumption is that one has followed a line of ‘common knowledge’ to which I am not able to access.

5.I am face-blind; I was married for 11 years and Maureen had to wear distinctive clothing or introduce herself to me each time we met in public. This particular facet of AS I keep to myself, one has to be careful because I have learned the hard way that some people will take advantage.

6.I do not understand non-verbal communication.

7.I do not have an instinctive recognition of the 412 facial emotions because I am face-blind.

8.I do not see a whole argument or description; I see parts of it.

9.I cannot relate one of my life experiences to another.

10. I cannot project likely outcomes for new situations.

11. I cannot see ways of doing things in new situations; I cannot think on my feet. In a verbal situation I need to be asked short questions, rather than someone spending half an hour asking a question it is better to break it down into a series of short and simple questions. It may be necessary to explain the question to me, or even to write it down so that I can see what is needed to be said.

12. I do not understand emotions.

13. I do not understand death or your need to be emotional about it.

14. Learning new things takes me a very long time, and I need people who can break the process down into a series of logical yet simple processes, so that I arrive at the same place as everybody else, but I have gone through the whole subject logically. I learn in the same way that a computer does, if you do not tell the computer or me, then we do not ‘understand’ what it is you are saying, I think that is why I like computers.

15. I collect things everything from crocodiles, through frogs to dragons, and it is a compulsion to collect and never to throw anything away, because it might be useful – on the other hand I hold regular audits of what I have, and the excess goes down to the charity shop for others to use.

16. I list things, massive lists of items, that I may or may not need, and I like to learn trivia, which is basically learning lists of data.

17. I cannot bear to be late and prefer to be early, and shall go to extremes to ensure that I am early.

18. I am totally mono-minded, which gives me phenomenal concentration when working on a project, but excludes the rest of the world, even down to eating or sleeping. On the other hand it means that I find it very difficult to switch from one subject to another, something as simple as being asked whether or not I want a cup of tea, will throw me into a sense of panic as I try to comprehend what is being asked. When I am being interviewed by a panel, I always say that I will talk to one member of the panel, and if questions could be channeled that way.

19. When I walk I am clumsy, and using my hands for things, e.g. DIY, it is a case of measure 9 times and still cut in the wrong place, or end up with a wavy line.

20. I live in a world of singularities and compartments. An analogy would be a library, where each book represents an experience. In your library, you can relate and analyse one experience against another, and, when confronted with something new, come to some form of conclusion about what actions are needed. My library does not have a card index, or any form of index, so I cannot relate to, or analyse the various books; each of my experiences is unique, and bares no relationship to any other experience, no matter how alike they may be to you, they are separate events for me.

21. Manipulative behaviour, I am no more manipulative than any other 5 year old (part of my development ceased at around age 5).

22. I have advanced language skills, at a written level, and have a good vocabulary; at a verbal level, I forget what I am trying to say, or what the question was. Whatever I am doing I try to travel with someone who acts as my communicator, if I get stuck. I do get stuck in logic loops and I ask people never to give me an 'either/or' or 'neither/nor' question as I am unable to answer these. I have learned how to prevent this.

23.Motor Skills. I have great difficulty in getting my legs to do what I want them to do and I spend a lot of time falling straight down and landing on my knees. My legs are splayed and I am duck-footed and very clumsy. Despite 12 years in the army I never learned to march. My hands are OK for rough tasks but it is a case of measure 9 times and still cut in the wrong place. I try hard to do things, to draw a face when I cannot see faces, to do metal working with a file and to try to make a flat surface, to try to learn welding, yet my body will not let me do what my mind wants it to do.

24.Sensory overloads, apart from sound, flashing images, blurred, too hot, too cold, windy, wet, being touched. I feel a wave of aggression if I watch a TV programme that portrays violence or aggressive behaviour, bus brakes, sirens on emergency vehicles, fireworks, Christmas crackers, sudden noises. Too many people or more than one person speaking at once. Tied in with this is the fact that all my senses overload at the same time, I do not just ‘hear’ a sound, I see it, feel it, taste it and smell it. I love music or the sound of water or a bird singing, the sound of paper when it is crumpled or ripped.

25.The need to be touched and the need to feel guilty about being touched anywhere on my body. This is a paradox because I cannot bear to be touched ordinarily.

26.I have a basic set of emotions: content, happy, sad, love, hate, anger, rage, fear; the nuances and other shades simply do not exist for me.

27.Everyone I meet has the same value to me and I find them to be good people, no matter how bad they may be to neurotypicals. Even people who are not nice to me are valued by me. I view people as Human Resources and they are all of value.

28.Once I have learned the basics of any subject or skill, I learn very fast, however, learning those foundations can and does take me longer than NTs.

29.I am meticulous and have an orderly mind and a liking for order.

30.I find social chit-chat difficult though I have learned a sort of business lingua franca for these occasions.

31.My face remains expressionless; I look passive. Partly this is because I do not know how to respond to people, partly because I cannot understand non-verbal communication and facial expressions, partly, it is also due to lack of motor skills.

32.Tics and other non-voluntary movements I get in my head, around my eyes, and my arms and hands go into tension – my fingers curl and twist. It is not painful but it is distressing when it happens in public, I am usually aware of when it is likely to happen and I try to keep myself as relaxed as possible – I do plenty of exercise but I cannot stop the twitches.

33.Alimentary Tract – stomach, intestines etc. I get bouts of diarrhoea and vomiting usually when under extreme stress, I cannot eat certain foods because they affect me and cause pain. Specific items which I cannot have: fat meat, sea salt, most sweets and chocolates, artificial sweeteners and colourings, mono-sodium-glutamate. In 2004 my gall bladder was removed (it had exploded several months before but I was not aware of it because of the acute and chronic pain from the arthritis and also because of my difficulty with ‘feeling’ pain – see below).

34.Pain – I have difficulty in locating where a pain really is or in feeling it, though I am in constant pain from the arthritis I cannot tell exactly where the pain is coming from. Also when I get another pain it will get mixed up with the original pain, e.g. when the gall bladder exploded I was unable to ‘feel’ it or to fix where it was.

35.Anxiety – I have this all of the time, though I do not appear to be anxious and I get reactive depression as a consequence – my body gets diarrhoea, stomach upsets, sickness, odd aches or cramps.

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.

Edited by - Chris Green on 20/01/2009 14:29:05

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Eight Asperger’s Syndrome Advantages

THESE TRAITS ARE USED BY ME TO DEVELOP INVALUABLE LEADERSHIP AND ENTREPRENEURIAL SKILLS.

1. FOCUS

The ability to focus on one objective over long periods of time without becoming distracted allows me to accomplish large and challenging tasks.

2. UNIQUE GLOBAL INSIGHTS

The ability to find novel connections among multi-disciplinary facts and ideas allows me to create new, coherent, and meaningful insight that others would not have reached without me.

3. INDEPENDENT THINKING

My willingness to consider unpopular or unusual possibilities generates new options and opportunities and can pave the way for others.

4. INTERNAL MOTIVATION

Rather than being swayed by social convention, other's opinions, social pressure or fears, I can hold firm to my own purpose. My unique ideas can thrive, despite opposing viewpoints.

5. ATTENTION TO DETAIL

The ability to remember and process minute details without getting lost or overwhelmed gives me a distinct advantage when solving complex problems.

6. 3-DIMENSIONAL THINKING (and multi-dimensions)

The ability to utilize 3-dimensional visioning gives me a unique perspective when designing and creating solutions.

7. CUTTING THROUGH THE SMOKE SCREEN

The ability to recognize and speak the truth that is being "conveniently" ignored by others can be vital to the success of a project, activity or endeavour.

8. LOGICAL DECISION MAKING

The ability to make logical and rational decisions and stick to my course of action without being swayed by impulse or emotional reactions allows me to navigate successfully through difficult situations without being pulled off-course.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

Ex-English Army ( Ex-pat Geordie ), Berkshire
United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow ! Chris, I really admire you
best regards
Tom

I really do not understand why, Tom, the above and below is simply a factual statement, placed here so you NTs will have some understanding of the levels of difficulty that exist in communicating.

Also, should I be able to walk into your message and write in it?

http://im-a-soldier-get-me-out-of-here.weebly.com

Edited by - Chris Green on 22/11/2007 20:39:33
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curriculum Vitae of Chris Green

Military Service
12 years service from 1971 to 1983 in the Royal Armoured Corps, serving with the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars.

Summary of qualifications
5 ‘O’ Levels at Worksop Technology College 1968 - 1971 - English Grammar, Mathematics, Engineering Workshop Theory and Practice, Technical Drawing and English Literature.
Military courses passed as part of training to become a Chieftain MBT Crewman – Loader/Operator, Gunner, Driver – passed as Crewman 1973 and then took course as Gunner Mechanic as my main qualification.
Military courses passed as part of training to become NCO i/c Regimental Aid Post (RAP) – Driver FV 432, Commander FV 432, Driver Mechanic FV 432, Regimental Medical Assistant, First Aid Instructor and Casualty Simulator, NBC Instructor.
As a result of the driving I hold Group ‘H’ tracked vehicles license which also covers bulldozers and excavators.
At the same time as doing the RAP I was also doing Small Arms Instructor, G1098 Storeman and Arms Storeman.
1981 Sergeant’s Examinations covering Supervisory and Administrative Management and Accounting
NBC Instructor, First Aid and Casualty Simulation Instructor, Medical Assistant
Small Business Resettlement Course at Catterick Camp in 1983
Community-Based Enterprise Course at Merseyside Open College 1997
Computers Don’t Byte at Lee Valley Liverpool Community College 2004/05
OCR Level 1 Certificate for IT Users (New CLAIT) 2005

Courses
2006-07 September I am doing Welding and Fabrication (ABC 165 Part 1) part-time in the evenings (Tuesday and Wednesday) at 18.00 to 21.00 at Newark and Sherwood College. I shall undertake Parts 2 and 3 in subsequent years.
2007 Monday afternoons I am doing a series of small arts courses, each one covering a particular aspect of art, e.g. drawing faces, painting figures, different media, etc.

Professional experience
1971 to 1983 served with The Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars
1983 - 1984 Sole Trader Ancaster, Lincolnshire Dry-stone Walling
1984 - 1985 Sole Trader Bricking Gang
1985 - 1986 Moved to Chatham in Medway, Kent 1986 Halls Homes and Gardens as a tool fitter, machinist and assembler.
1986 -1988 Setup a group of house cleaners in Blackheath London, semi-partnership for which I did the Administration
1988 - 1990 Bus Conductor in London, working out of Camberwell Bus Garage on routes 3, 12 and 159
1990 - 1992 Computer operator for Shorrocks Alarms in London
1993 to present Founder and Voluntary (unpaid) Managing Director of Disability Information Group: Integration through Technology - 1998 became a not-for-profit company (Co No 3473080) (DIG: ITT). This is now a dormant company, which is maintained to provide a legal protection for Copyright materials on the internet. I have never taken any pay from this, so it could go under 'voluntary activities'.

Additional professional activities - on a voluntary basis
(I resigned from most of the below on 27/28 May 2005 following on from protracted divorce proceedings and an inability to find suitable accommodation in South Liverpool - the legal catchment area - I moved to Newark on 17th May 2005 to be close to the River Trent and to my sister who lives in Grantham)

[R = resigned]

1994 Chair of Croc-around-Britain, which is a long-term access, project covering the coastlines of the whole of the British Isles, Northern and Southern Ireland (Croc). It is expected to take 25 years in total. In 2006 my involvement is minimal and extends to 3 days in the year, at weekends.
1995. Netherley Residents’ Community Association, R
1997 Merseytravel - Access Panel and Liverpool Panel, R
2000 Resident Director and trustee of the Lee Valley Housing Association (LVHA). R
2000. LVHA Audit Committee (and Risks Management) R
2000 LVHA Community Chest Funding Committee R
2001 Lee Valley Residents’ Forum, as LVHA Board Representative R
2003 Director and trustee of the Belle Vale Community Centre (BVCC). R
2003 Director of Lee Valley Trading (trading arm of the community centre). R
2003 Administrator for Liverpool Creative Union (LCU), which I still do on an ad hoc basis; in 2007 this amounts to around 1 hour per week.
2003 DIGITT representative on CitySafe in conjunction with Inspector Steve Melia of Merseyside Police. R
2003 consultancy on Integrated Transport Systems working with LVHA, Merseytravel and Liverpool City Council, which I am still doing on an ad hoc basis and in 2007 this amounts a couple of hours a month.
2004 consultancy on Disability Equality Action Plan with Carie Lee of Equal Opportunities Service and Liverpool City Council, which I am still doing on an ad hoc basis; in 2007 this amounts to an occasional letter.
2005 joined Newark Branch of Royal British Legion and subsequently became Membership Secretary which, as an Officer of the Branch requires my attendance at the monthly meeting on the first Tuesday of each month at 19.30 hours in the R.A.F. Association Club and a couple of days work at weekends each September when the annual membership fees are due.
2005 Newark RBL Branch designing website and 2006 webmaster of site URL – www.newarkrbl.org.uk/ this is maintained at weekends and takes a couple of hours per week.
2006 involved in organising recruitment for Newark RBL Branch, largely done via the website, though there are weekends away.
2006 designing and building new website for DIGITT, which covers the East Midlands and the rest of the UK, this will be a multiple platform site and will include a bulletin board, blogs, disability dating, jobs and so on, once built I shall become the webmaster. I expect this site to come online in 2007. This is a long-term project and I spend a couple of hours a week on it.

Hobbies
Sculpture and history, reading, writing, building websites, writing on the internet, building computers, cooking, oil painting, designing and making soft toys. I wrote 'Poems in my Knapsack' - 1983 - ISBN 0 86303 - 093-9
I am saving up for a narrowboat; I have experience of crewing on my Sister’s narrowboat which is moored on the River Nene at Yarwell near Peterborough. Currently learning navigation because I want to take my boat across the Wash (I like to be prepared).

Interests and activities
Housing and the environment and providing a viable infrastructure for any potential population; renewable energy; modular building systems; global warming; alternative energy systems; cost-effective social housing; recycling; waste minimisation and management; integrated transport systems; access for all; cradle-to-grave social housing; social infrastructure; designing out boredom;
funding and fundraising; business in the community; civil law; regeneration; welfare and disability rights.

Awards received
1970 Silver Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
1975 UN Medal Cyprus
1977 Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal
1971-1983 British Forces Germany Medal
2003 Winner of Restricted Access category of the Liverpool Tenants’ Gardening Competition
2004 Winner of Organic and Wildlife category of Liverpool Tenants' Gardening Competition

Miscellaneous
Fellowship of British Association of Entrepreneurs (FBAE) 2000

Disablement
1993 arthritis (7 kinds) mainly in spine - I wear a powerchair.
2003 high function autism and Asperger’s Syndrome diagnosed
2003 gall bladder removed – low fat diet.
NB: concerning the Asperger’s Syndrome, please read the following files:
‘Advantages_of_AS.rtf’
‘MyAS.rtf’

Curriculum Vitae of Chris Green

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Disablement and How it Affects Other People

I was born with AUTISM (Asperger's and high function autism) and am acutely ego-centric and mono-minded to the exclusion of all else, e.g. getting dressed, personal hygiene, taking tablets, going to sleep, eating, drinking, etc., and will happily continue with whatever it is that I am doing until it is done. Something else will then attract my attention and I go off and do that.

My fiancée phones me up at regular intervals, when she is not here with me, and makes certain that I have done the basics of everyday life and that I have taken my tablets and eaten and had something to drink.

Likewise my sister takes care of my money and the arranging of direct debits for all the regular bills.

At age 4 was in car crash with my mother and we ended upside down in a canal and I drowned and I still remember drowning some 50 years later. We were lucky there was an ambulance behind us and they rescued us.

At age 18 volunteered for the army and served a total of 12 years, halfway through, in 1976 the pain started in my back, and was put down to low mechanical damage by the army medical people; I was a gunner on Chieftain tanks and there was no protection or support for your back in that position, especially when travelling across rough ground; likewise there is no protection for your back in an FV432 tracked ambulance when you are the commander or the medic I was both from 1978 onwards.

After the army walked round Europe, then owned and ran 3 businesses - drystone walling, bricking, house cleaning.

At age 33 had a massive nervous breakdown, between my second and third businesses, and was sent to Bexley Secure Hospital on Section and later semi-permanent, for 6 years. I was an in-patient, then in psychotherapy, then in the halfway house and then on license, at age 39 I was given a clean bill of health.

During my time as an inpatient I had ECT (Electro-Convulsive Therapy) which has put paid to my short-term memory, basically I live now, hence the notebooks, and need day and night care because I am not aware of dangers and of the necessity of getting changed when I piss myself (see above – Asperger’s).

A knock-on effect of the damaged back is osteo and rheumatoid arthritis in my spine, and also systemic arthritis which affects my internal organs; eczema and psoriasis which affect my scalp on occasion.

I also have ankylosing spondylosis and cervical spondylosis and spondylitis, damage to nerves in my neck and trigeminal neuralgia which tends to be left-sided but is starting to happen on the right-side as well.

My main disablement is PAIN which is ACUTE and CHRONIC and which I have on a 24/7 basis, and have had for the last 31 years.

A consequence of severe pain is ANGER and the aggression helps me to get through each day; and it allows me to do my exercises and to crawl around a shared allotment doing the weeding.

Most people find me aggressive and single-minded, I am not a doormat and people who try to use me as such get short shrift.

I use the anger and aggression to do exercises and my arms and legs are very fit; my middle is not very flexible because I am fused from 2 inches above my waist to the pelvis and about half of my neck is fused.

I get a lot of pain in my face from the trigeminal nerves, especially my eyes, my face burns and my teeth hurt – even the ones that I do not have anymore - due to the fused bones in my neck and a hell of a lot of pain in both sciatic nerves from waist to soles of feet.

In June 2003 I had my gall bladder removed and I have had permanent diarrhoea since then and am on a very low fat diet. I do not wear ‘nappies’ because I am not a baby and because of the problems of getting them on, on my own, due to the arthritis.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  20:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very odd, Tom, don't know what happened there.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  21:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Into a different dimension ?

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  21:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know, if you look at your previous message you'll find my answer mixed in it.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2007 :  07:57:37  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am aware that people find communication with autistics very difficult and likewise I find getting my meaning across to neurotypicals is hard and awkward.

Firstly, we do not have a large body of shared experiences of social interaction and non-verbal communication; secondly, we do not have a shared emotional basis, except at a primitive level, which all creatures have; thirdly, autism is like a big lever it forces one along a path, which I may not want to travel, but have no choice but to follow along behind what is happening (hence my earlier diagnosis of schizophrenia).

Personally I view all of the above as a stepping stone to somewhere else, as though one has taken the first step or uttered one's first word, and one reaches out a hand to another and offer a touching link to somewhere else.

Perhaps I should have done all of this earlier, though I have skimmed over the differences in the thread 'Croc'ery'; my decision-making process is very slow, e.g. if someone asks me if I want to drink a cup of tea, the thought process usually takes 30 minutes or so in order to decide whether or not I am thirsty.

Now that is a very basic question, for more complex things like asking to go on a course, the decision process takes months and my anxiety levels are terribly high throughout.

The anxiety I have had since birth, indeed it is one of the key indicators of autism.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1626 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2007 :  23:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is wow! You have made it all very clear indeed. Thanks Chris, I think we are all suitably informed and hopefully no other dramas will occur.

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2007 :  11:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very informative Chris, thank you.

Annie x - Poetry is always in motion
Go to Top of Page

bobbie

United Kingdom

225 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2007 :  15:06:32  Show Profile  Visit bobbie's Homepage Send bobbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

Thank you for giving further information about Asperger's sydnrome, for I didn't really understand it and, although I haven't read it all, I have read most of it and and now I know. However, I think you're very honest and full of pluck. I think the more people are told of these conditions, the better it will be: I am brutally honest and it pays dividends.

Keep going!

Bobbie
Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2007 :  18:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an afterthought on looking at your Military service ( 1971-1983 ) Chris.
We must've been in at the same time, as I was
( 1972-1984 ). Wonder if our paths ever crossed ?
Ex: Summer Sales in Germany,/Belize/France/Cyprus/Falklands/N.Ireland/
Rhodesia-Zimbabwe ? We may have passed each other without even knowing !
Regards
Tom

Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  02:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Mcgreevy

Just an afterthought on looking at your Military service ( 1971-1983 ) Chris.
We must've been in at the same time, as I was
( 1972-1984 ). Wonder if our paths ever crossed ?
Ex: Summer Sales in Germany,/Belize/France/Cyprus/Falklands/N.Ireland/
Rhodesia-Zimbabwe ? We may have passed each other without even knowing !
Regards
Tom

I did Summer Sales in 1973 to 1977 as a 'body' and general guard.
Cyprus was when the Turks landed and just after.
We had a squadron in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe - think it was 'B'.

Regards,
Chris Green

Service before self

Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  11:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose they had to ' B ' there, like me !
I was detached to 'The Commenwealth Ceasefire Monitoring and
Liasion Organisation ' and nearly stayed there when 'Rhodesia' became
'Zimbabwe' (Got the Zimbabwe Independance Medal off President
Mugabe), but decided the British Army was the best in the World, so returned to England and soldiered on.
(Fate is a funny old thing. If I hadn't returned, I would never have met my lovely wife 'Paula' ! ( 5th Wedding anniversary this month ) ps: In Cyrus I was United Nations for 12 Month.
Huge GRIN to you Chris
Regards
Tom

Edited by - Tom Mcgreevy on 09/01/2008 11:28:36
Go to Top of Page

Lisa

United Kingdom

155 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  22:37:55  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found your posts very interesting Chris particularly as we are wondering if our 4 year old daughter has Aspergers. Unfortunatly diagnosis is slow due waiting lists and by the time we get to the top we'll be moving again. But I'm know longer as worried about it as I am, your many acheivments have given me hope for my little girl.
Health proffesionals are questioning if she has Autism/Asperges/ADD/ADHD???? To me she is my little girl with great character, others have commented that she has no social skills,(she spends play time at school sitting on the bench as she is bewildered by the running screaming children and finds it very difficult to join in) crazy, naughty, slow, comparing her to her sister and how her sister is so good and many other ignorant things. So a diagnosis would be good as people would have alot more understanding as to why she behaves the way she does. Thankyou for high lighting Asperges and your acheivments.

~Lisa~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000