header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Coffee Shop
 What you get from this site
 The Poet's platform
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Sinclair

United Kingdom

79 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  15:28:13  Show Profile  Visit John Sinclair's Homepage Send John Sinclair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What l get from Forces poetry is an easy one to answer, l believe FP gives the poet a platform to put their words out there for all to see, l only started writing poetry very late on at the end of last year, my reason for that was l was becoming more incensed at the way this country was treating our service personnel, hence the reason why l wrote 'What it means to me to be a soldier' it was more off a statement from me trying to express how l felt, from then it was like a tap was turned on inside me and l am now pouring the words out onto paper, l find it extremely hard to switch the poet off inside me now, l even asked a barmaid for a shot of a pen so l could write 'The inhumanity of man' on the inside of the book jacket that l was reading at the time, FP gives me the poet's platform & for that l am extremely grateful.

Aye yours
John S.

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  18:26:06  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Yes John, your words ring true, It is difficult for me to think why the recruiting of armed forces continues at all, judging by the way our forces are treated both when serving, and worse on completion of service.The pending closure of Crosfield House, in Wales, (the only residential home for care of our forces in Wales) where the Ccouncil say they cannot pay part costs to keep it going, is typical of the actions of those responsible. Taffy
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  22:44:05  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as the 'poet platform' the site gives us humour, compassion and friendship - all this adds to our poetic wisdom and creativity. Really glad you have found your poets pen, John and very glad to be able to read your work, through this wonderful site!
Taffy you have a point - their is a lack of value and respect in general in this country and that spreads sadly to our glorious, hard-working Armed Forces.
Lets remember this week all those that have been lost to us in Afghanistan.
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Mcgreevy
Administrator

Ex-English Army ( Ex-pat Geordie ), Berkshire
United Kingdom

4098 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  21:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Tom Mcgreevy's Homepage Send Tom Mcgreevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what I get from this site ?
( Everything I need, and loads of friends as well )

http://im-a-soldier-get-me-out-of-here.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

bobbie

United Kingdom

225 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  08:51:04  Show Profile  Visit bobbie's Homepage Send bobbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get hope, courage, encouragement and a kind of acquaintance with bravery - and a feeling that maybe I should carry on writing and one day will write a wonderful poem.
Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  11:11:58  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, The one word that seems to convey most of what is gained from this site is EMPATHY,
Evil could well be described as lack of Empathy. K.T.
Taffy
Go to Top of Page

Annie
Administrator

United Kingdom

1040 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  07:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Annie's Homepage Send Annie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel a warmth of friendship every time I come to this treasure trove of poetry, empathy (quite right Taffy) and camaraderie. There is little like a feeling of belonging and that is what I feel here. I feel I really do belong here and I suddenly have wonderful friends who support me and each other.
We often talk of "an extended family" and this is how I see everyone at FP.
Thank you all

Annie x - Poetry is always in motion
Go to Top of Page

Sheila Weekes

United Kingdom

118 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  00:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Sheila Weekes's Homepage Send Sheila Weekes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am brand new to this site and I feel it is a privilege to be here. So many people who have been through so much of life, in ways that many of us will never personally know but in here they help us to understand as they open their hearts and minds in poetry form. Thanks to every one of you who I touch by reading your words and who do me the honour of reading mine. Sheila

One dream for life
Go to Top of Page

Kale

United Kingdom

345 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  05:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage Send Kale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone

A friend of mine told me a story yesterday about when she went into our local Boots store asking if they would kindly donate some free samples to send out to our females serving overseas. Well, I am pleased to say that Boots gave a fantastic donation of goodies for both men and women and these have been subsequently packed into Christmas parcels and will now be winging their way over to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Prior to the boxes going out, Val, my friend took one of the parcels into Boots to show the staff what their contribution had been put towards, in all the ladies boxes, Val placed a copy of my poem 'Angels Watching Over Them', she left the box with the staff for a while so they could look through whilst she did some shopping. When she came back, the girls were reading my poem and were in tears as they loved it so much... It touched them and gave them an insight as to just what our servicemen and women have to endure, and they felt a sense of pride that their contribution will bring some much needed Christmas cheer and support. They have also offered to help out in the future and have said that she can go anytime as they would love to help. So, not only does our poetry bring comfort to us, it opens the eyes to those who aren't connected to the military and brings it home to them what a great job they are doing in such terrible conditions.

Love and hugs

Michaela (aka Kale) xxx

Kale's New Book Poems from the Heart - out now

We don't grow old from too much laughing... we grow old because we stop!

http://www.lulu.com/content/3998012
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovely story Kale!
Their was a wonderful story last week on my local news, where children from Sandhurst junior school had raised funds (with the help of a parent, whose son had served in the sandy place) and were as a result packing christmas parcels to send to the troops. Some were interviewed and showed great empathy - truly touching. The ladies son was interviewed as well and he said how important it was and how great it was to receive these parcels when they are far from home.
Jan

We cannot stop, because if a single one of these men were taken and shot, that would be our fault - Edith Cavell
http://www.janscreativewriting.co.uk/ -updated Aug 17 - with new poems/photo's - video interviews - see PowerPoint slide shows, audio files & my books.
Go to Top of Page

Mac
Administrator

United Kingdom

1631 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  15:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Mac's Homepage Send Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have gained so much from this site. I have learned so much too. We are not alone, people who live in what they believe to be a uniquely uncomfortable way are surprised to hear they are not alone in their ways and worries. From that so many have taken great comfort.

Just before the book launch I had a couple of lads (bit old to be called that but they always will be just lads) round to my wee hoos. We talked and had a few of The Guinness and they told me just what FLOW for ALL and its sites had done for them. The most important thing they received was acceptance without question or criticism, empathy and support from total strangers and a complete feeling of being part of a group of friends who understood.

We have no idea just how much we help by the little things we do. Those small messages and posts we place in here give huge support and encouragement to so many. This site, this place this community we have created, is the beginning of a whole new place of sanctuary which will be badly needed as the wars continue. Thank you all.

Dream, Hope, Believe, Do
Go to Top of Page

janhedger
Administrator

United Kingdom

4230 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  21:59:54  Show Profile  Visit janhedger's Homepage  Send janhedger an AOL message Send janhedger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks appreciated Mac - but none needed - just so proud and humbled to be part of 'this family' that is reaching out, without judgment or question. Everyone is entitled to that.
It is I that wishes to show my appreciation for your caring and hard working leadership.
Jan

Go to Top of Page

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello I do so love that word EMPATHY, wish we could be seen to use it more in life. taffy
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  22:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cerebella Atrophy (slow onset and degenerative version)is pending, I have another scan in 3 months at QMC to see if there is a major reduction in size.

I am experiencing loss of speech function, which is really no hardship because I find speech gets in the way of writing and thinking.

I have exercises, like reading out loud, and puzzles and crosswords and these should help to sort out the speech.

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  22:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry geting tired, wrong topic.

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000